Friday, February 14, 2014

A new style for me!


I'm not one for doing cutesy characters...  not generally the sort of style I would pick - but I borrowed this stamp from Sarah to challenge myself to do something a bit different.  I raided my box of Ink Mister backgrounds and found this particularly vibrant busy one and thought - right double the challenge to put this stamp onto such a vibrant piece.  I was determined not to paper piece - but to stamp directly onto the background.  I started by stamping and embossing my little girl (she's a Wild Rose Studio stamp).  I then set about experimenting with colouring mediums.  Because the background was so saturated with mica, I was finding the paints and promarkers I was trying was just sinking below the mica and getting lost.  So I decided to paint in the stamp design with some gesso.  I did this slowly and gradually and after painting each time I wiped over with a jay cloth to make sure the heat embossed areas didn't get paint dried on the top.  After a few coats it was enough to start trying some different colours.  I tried some distress paints, but I couldn't get a strong enough colour, so I went back to my Promarkers - and after building up a couple of layers of colour I got the effect I wanted.  I found the colour went on a lot easier using the chisel end rather than the point - that seemed to move the colour about.

I added the words (Chocolate Baroque stamp) and added some lines with a black promarker and drew through a mask with a black fineliner.  I also added some white gel pen highlights around the wording and around my little girl to make her stand out from the background even more.  Finally I mounted the piece onto black card and onto a 5x7 card blank.

It's nice to challenge yourself... always a bit daunting but satisfying when you complete your project!

Started to get excited.. only one more day before I travel up for the trade show woohoo!

happy crafting
Jane
www.aldridgecrafts.co.uk

Shop for Chocolate Baroque stamps
Shop for Wild Rose Studio Stamps
Shop for Ink Misters


No comments: